About Urban Health Administration
At the School of Public Health's Newark Location
The Department of Urban Health Administration prepares students for leadership in the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of organizations and programs that address the public health needs of urban and disadvantaged populations. Students in the Department of Urban Health Administration receive a solid foundation in public health, and also learn best practices in public administration, gaining knowledge about the creation and maintenance of effective, efficient, responsive, and ethical public health organizations and programs.
The Department is a longstanding collaboration between the Rutgers School of Public Health and the Rutgers School of Public Affairs and Administration. Students take classes at both Newark-based schools. Graduates of the Department of Urban Health Administration are well prepared to take leadership positions as public health practitioners and administrators in an increasingly diverse United States.
Jeffrey R. Backstrand, PhD
Welcome to the Rutgers School of Public Health’s Department of Urban Health Administration (URHA) webpage. Our department is the result of a longstanding and fruitful collaboration between two Newark-based professional schools:
Want to Know More?
- The Department of Urban Health Administration is characterized by
- A focus on the public health needs of urban and disadvantaged populations;
- Instruction in best practices in program and organization management and administration;
- Teaching students the skills and knowledge needed to be effective public health practitioners;
- A close collaboration between two Rutgers professional schools: the School of Public Health and the School of Public Affairs and Administration; and
- Fieldwork placements that provide with practical public health experience and fieldwork products that benefit the community.