Curriculum for the
Master of Public Health (MPH) in Biostatistics (45 credits)
Only for students previously enrolled in the MPH in Quantitative Methods: Biostatistics, Newark
Students seeking the MPH in Biostatistics (formerly Quantitative Methods) degree must complete 45 credits of academic work with an average grade of “B” or better. Courses are three credit hours unless otherwise noted.
CORE COURSES (15 credits)
- PHCO 0501 - Health Systems and Policy
- PHCO 0502 - Principles and Methods of Epidemiology (Prerequisite: Quantitative Skills Assessment)
- PHCO 0503 - Introduction to Environmental Health
- PHCO 0504 - Introduction to Biostatistics (Prerequisite: Quantitative Skills Assessment)
- PHCO 0505 - Health Education and Behavioral Science in Public Health
Note: Students should take PHCO 0502 and PHCO 0504 as soon as possible after entering the program (preferably in the fall). These courses are prerequisites for upper level courses. In addition, students are encouraged to take these courses at Newark.
FIELDWORK (6 credits)
- FDWC 0600 - Fieldwork I (1 credit)
- FDWC 0601 - Fieldwork II (5 credits)
Note: Fieldwork should be taken after completing EPID 0656.
REQUIRED COURSES (9 credits)
- BIST 0515 - Intro to SAS for Data Analysis in Public Health (2 credits)
- BIST 0551 - Applied Regression Analysis for Public Health Studies
- EPID 0584 - Computing II: EPI Info (1 credit)
- EPID 0656 - Design of Epidemiologic Studies and Clinical Trials
Note: Students are encouraged to take EPID 0584 during the same semester as PHCO 0502 at Newark.
Recommended Elective Courses (9 credits)
- EPID 0506 - MMWR (variable credit)
- EPID 0596 - GIS for Public Health and Epidemiology
- EPID 0610 - Case Studies in Epidemiology & Public Health
- EPID 0621 - Survey Research Methods and Questionnaire Design
- EPID 0622 - Injury Control & Prevention
- EPID 0638 - TB: A View from the Trenches
- EPID 0658 - Violence in America: Programs & Policy
- HSAP 0545 - Cost Effectiveness in Public Health & Medicine