- MPH, MS, and Doctoral Applicants
must apply through the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS) website located at http://www.sophas.org.
- Certificate Applicants
Complete the Application for Certificate Programs and the Letter of Recommendation form (to provide to your sponsors), or contact an Office of Student Affairs.
- Dual Degree Applicants
Contact an Office of Student Affairs to request an application.
- Applicants who are part of a Residency/Fellowship program or have a Rutgers faculty appointment (doctoral trained) should contact an Office of Student Affairs to request an application.
- Non-Degree Seeking Students, such as Visiting Students, interested in taking up to two courses only and/or enrolling for a single semester should complete the Non-Degree Seeking Student Registration Form at the following link:
Non-Degree Seeking Student Registration Form
How SOPHAS Works:
In order to give applicants who apply through SOPHAS an idea of how the process will work, the following information is provided:
- Step 1: Web Application Entry Print - Applicant submits application data and remits fee ($135.00).
- Step 2: Data Collection - SOPHAS receives all supporting documentation (test scores, official transcripts, etc.).
- Step 3: Authentication - SOPHAS authenticates documentation received.
- Step 4: Verification - SOPHAS verifies data entered by applicant against documentation received.
- Step 5: Bundle/Packaging - SOPHAS prepares the application for distribution to Rutgers School of Public Health.
- Step 6: Distribution - Rutgers School of Public Health receives the final completed application packet.
**Please note Steps 2-6 generally take 4-6 weeks**
With the deadline dates specified above, we ask that applicants keep in mind the process by which documentation will flow. Please note the Admissions Committee will receive and review only completed application files.
Should you have any inquiries regarding your application status, please check on-line prior to contacting SOPHAS at: (617) 612-2090 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All supporting documentation that complete the application should be requested well in advance so that the materials arrive prior to the deadline. Supporting documentation should include the following:
- Official transcripts for all post secondary registered coursework and the SOPHAS Official Transcript Request Form for each transcript
Applicants must submit official transcripts for all registered coursework from each college or university attended. The SOPHAS Official Transcript Request Form must be included with each transcript. This documentation must be sent from the registrar or designated school records official directly to SOPHAS. Official transcripts will not be accepted from the applicant. Photocopies of official transcripts or unofficial records will not be accepted.
If you are currently in a degree program, you are required to submit a current official transcript of courses completed and work in progress. If you are accepted for admission, a final official transcript showing final course grades, the degree awarded and the date that degree was conferred must be submitted directly to Rutgers School of Public health prior to matriculation.
Rutgers School of Public Health reserves the right to re-evaluate your application for admission upon receipt of the final official transcript.
- Official transcripts for international students (official transcripts and records outside of the U.S. and Canada)
All international applicants must submit official English translations and equivalencies for all academic records and transcripts unless an advanced degree has been earned in the U.S.. It is recommended that international applicants use WES translation and course/degree evaluation.
- Official test score reports
Official GRE test score reports must be sent to the Rutgers School of Public Health. The code is 2567. In addition, applicants must report their GRE scores to SOPHAS as part of the application process.
Official GMAT test score reports must be sent by the reporting agency directly to the Rutgers School of Public Health. The code for GMAT reporting is 2567.
In the case of MCAT reporting, the applicant must request scores be reported to "SOPHAS."
- Two letters of recommendation are required for Master's degree applicants. (At least one of these letters should be from a university/college faculty member if the applicant completed their undergraduate education, or equivalent, within the past five years.)
Please note: SOPHAS requires applicants to submit at least three names for letters of recommendation; however, Rutgers School of Public Health considers an application coomplete when two letters of recommendation are received.
Three letters are required for doctoral degree applicants.
SOPHAS offers an electronic or paper process for recommenders to submit letters of recommendation. Recommenders should know you well and be able to evaluate your academic or professional work, your abilities to undertake graduate study and your potential as a public health professional.
For those not applying through SOPHAS, download the Letter of Recommendation form to provide to your sponsors.
- Official TOEFL test score report
Foreign nationals whose undergraduate, graduate or professional degrees were obtained from a country where English is not the primary language of instruction must submit an official score for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The code for SOPHAS is 5688.
Receipt of supporting documentation by SOPHAS may be viewed on-line once you create a SOPHAS account. Previewing the status of your application regularly is important. Sending information directly to SOPHAS and utilizing the SOPHAS ETS code (5688) will expedite the processing.
All applicants are required to complete a "Supplemental Application" that can be found HERE. The supplemental application fee is $25.00 and is payable to Rutgers School of Public Health.
If you are applying for financial aid, candidates are strongly encouraged to complete their financial aid paperwork simultaneously with the admissions process.